(Above: Vijay Sethupathi in ‘Vikram Vedha’)
IMDb has now released its Top Indian Movies of 2017, based on more than 250 million monthly unique visitors to the site.
Whether you’re a devotee or have never seen an Indian production, the list can serve as a useful guide for watching the most popular titles that India’s prolific film industry has to offer.
“Fans worldwide demonstrated interest in a diverse set of Indian movies, from Vikram Vedha to The Great Father. It is interesting to note that films based on classics and mythology, as well as those based on contemporary issues, emerged as the two prominent themes of 2017,” said Neha Gureja, IMDb’s Head of Audience Development.
Four of IMDb’s top 10 are currently available for streaming. Here’s the complete list, along with where you can find those that are now online. (All summaries, in quotes, are sourced form IMDb).
1. Vikram Vedha – “A ruthless cop wages a war against an unscrupulous gangster. However, certain events lead to the cop questioning his principles and motives. This leaves behind a battle between good and bad with what is good and what is bad being unclear.” You can rent Vikram Vedha for $2.99 on Google Play.
2. Baahubali 2: The Conclusion – “When Shiva, the son of Bahubali, learns about his heritage, he begins to look for answers. His story is juxtaposed with past events that unfolded in the Mahishmati Kingdom.” You can stream Baahubali 2 with a Netflix subscription: or rent starting at $3.99 on Google Play.
3. Arjun Reddy –”When his girlfriend is forced to marry another man, a troubled young surgeon begins to self-destruct.” This film is currently unavailable for streaming.
4. Secret Superstar – “Insia is a 14-year-old from Vadodara who dreams of being a singer one day.” This film is currently in theaters.
5. Hindi Medium – “A couple from Chandni Chowk aspire to give their daughter the best education and thus be a part of and accepted by the elite of Delhi.” This film is currently unavailable for streaming.
6. The Ghazi Attack – “A Pakistani submarine, Ghazi plans to secretly attack Vizag port. For doing so, it has to get past Indian submarine S21.” You can purchase The Ghazi Attack for $15.99 from iTunes.
7. Toilet – Ek Prem Katha – “A woman threatens to leave her husband unless he installs a toilet in their home. To win back her love and respect, he heads out on a journey to fight against the backward society.” This film is currently unavailable for streaming.
9. Mersal – “A magician and a doctor attempt to expose the corruption at the heart of India’s medical industry.” This film is currently unavailable for streaming.
10. The Great Father – “A father attempting to seek justice for his daughter simultaneously crosses paths with a policeman.” This film is currently unavailable for streaming.
- Father & Son Serial Killers? - May 17, 2021
- Epic Flight to Freedom - May 14, 2021
- Wanda Sykes’ Netflix Sitcom - May 12, 2021
- Live Longer and Prosper - May 10, 2021
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021