(Above: ‘Game of Thrones’)
What to stream from 2017? Let IMDb, the popular online resource about films and TV, be your guide.
The database has released its lists for Top 10 Movies and Top 10 TV Shows of 2017.
The site determined its lists based on its MOVIEmeter and TV rankings, updated weekly throughout the year. IMDb derives its data from actual page views of the more than 250 million monthly unique visitors it receives from around the world.
IMDb’s Top 10 TV Shows of 2017
1. Game of Thrones – This TV phenomenon is the saga of “nine noble families (who) fight for control over the mythical lands of Westeros, while a forgotten race returns after being dormant for thousands of years.” The first seven seasons are available with an HBO Now subscription. Individual episodes are $2.99 on Google Play and elsewhere.
3. The Walking Dead – In AMC’s zombie cult favorite,“Sheriff Deputy Rick Grimes wakes up from a coma to learn the world is in ruins, and must lead a group of survivors to stay alive.” You can stream the first seven seasons on Netflix, or rent individual episodes for $2.99 from Amazon or other sources.
4. Rick and Morty – This “animated series follows the exploits of a super scientist and his not-so-bright grandson.” The first two seasons are available on Hulu. You can rent individual episodes from the first three seasons starting at $1.99 on Vudu and elsewhere.
5. Stranger Things – “When a young boy disappears, his mother, a police chief, and his friends must confront terrifying forces in order to get him back.” With Winona Ryder and David Harbour. The first two seasons are available to stream on Netflix.
6. Vikings – “The world of the Vikings is brought to life through the journey of Ragnar Lothbrok, the first Viking to emerge from Norse legend and onto the pages of history – a man on the edge of myth.” The first four seasons can be streamed on Hulu or Amazon Prime. You can also rent individual episodes from the first five seasons (along with the first four episodes from season five so far) starting at $1.99 from Fandango Now and other sources.
7. American Gods – “A recently released ex-convict named Shadow meets a mysterious man who calls himself “Wednesday” and who knows more than he first seems to about Shadow’s life and past.” Rent individual episodes from the first season for $2.99 from iTunes or other providers.
8. American Horror Story – “An anthology series centering on different characters and locations, including a house with a murderous past, an insane asylum, a witch coven, a freak show, a hotel, a possessed farmhouse, and a cult.” Look for star turns from Lady Gaga, Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange and many others. The first six seasons can be streamed on Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. Individual episodes from the first seven seasons are available to rent starting at $1.99 from Google Play and elsewhere.
10. Taboo – “Adventurer James Keziah Delaney returns to London during the War of 1812 to rebuild his late father’s shipping empire. However, both the government and his biggest competitor want his inheritance at any cost – even murder.” Starring Tom Hardy and Jonathan Pryce. You can rent individual episodes from season one starting at $1.99 from Vudu and other providers.
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021