Millennials are subscribing to subscription streaming services “at eye-popping rates,” according to an annual consumer video survey from industry consulting firm Altman Vilandrie & Company.
Nearly 75% of 18-34-year-olds watch TV shows and movies through paid online subscription services such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime at least once a week. More than 40% watch daily.
Younger viewers also tend to have multiple accounts: 78% of 18-34-year-olds subscribe to at least one streamer, 55% more than one, and 5% have five or more.
“Young viewers are both actively and passively gravitating toward online sources,” said Altman Vilandrie & Company Director Jonathan Hurd, who oversaw the survey. “In addition to hoarding multiple online accounts, we found that among younger viewers, the age-old tradition of channel surfing has evolved into online program surfing.”
When viewers want to surf for a show, 77% of 18-24-year-olds choose online video over broadcast or pay TV. Among viewers 55 and older, 65% surf traditional TV.
Other survey findings include:
- Online viewing has “grown significantly” among all ages over the last six years, with over 80% of those under 35 now doing so at least weekly;
- Since 2013, smartphone-based consumption of TV shows and movies has remained the same for owners under 35 but has increased 70% for those 55 and older;
- Over the past four years, the amount of time tablet owners spend watching shows and movies on their devices has decreased. In 2017, 18-34-year-olds are more likely to watch at least weekly on a laptop (58%) rather than a tablet (47%).
Earlier this week, Ooyala reported that people are watching more long-form content (over 20 minutes) on their mobile devices.
- Epic Flight to Freedom - May 14, 2021
- Wanda Sykes’ Netflix Sitcom - May 12, 2021
- Live Longer and Prosper - May 10, 2021
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021