(Above: Douglas in ‘Lust for Life’)
With acting legend Kirk Douglas turning 101 years old this past weekend, The Savvy Screener struggled with how best to honor the living legend. We found plenty of free Douglas movies on YouTube, but wanted to only share the best of the best with our readers.
So we turned to Douglas’ awards page on IMDB. While Douglas received an honorary Academy Award in 1996 “for 50 years as a creative and moral force in the motion picture community,” he never won a competitive Oscar. But he did receive three Best Actor nominations, which seemed like a good place to begin a retrospective of outstanding Kirk Douglas performances.
Douglas received his other two Oscar nominations for playing an unscrupulous movie producer in 1952’s The Bad and the Beautiful and the “brilliant but tortured” artist Vincent Van Gogh in 1956’s Lust for Life, for which he did win a Golden Globe. You can watch both these films for $2.99 SD/$3.99 HD by using the search function on YouTube’s Warner Movies on Demand. Here are their trailers:
We’ll conclude today with Douglas’ performance as an old-fashioned luddite cowboy out of place in modern society in 1962’s Lonely are the Brave, for which he received a British BAFTA nomination. Here’s the complete film:
Be sure to check back tomorrow when The Savvy Screener shares all three of Kirk Douglas’ Emmy-nominated performances!
(Note: The above is an updated version of a previously published article.)
- Rita, ‘The Love Goddess’ - October 17, 2018
- Prosecutors vs POTUS - October 16, 2018
- Potter Parody ‘Puffs’ - October 16, 2018
- ‘Debrief’ on Law & Crime - October 15, 2018
- ‘Haunting of Hill House’ - October 12, 2018
- ‘Light as a Feather’ - October 12, 2018
- Bluprint’s Open House - October 11, 2018
- Vin Diesel’s ‘Game4Paul’ - October 11, 2018
- Snapchat’s Originals - October 10, 2018
- ’22 July’ by Greengrass - October 9, 2018