(Above: ‘Santa Claus Conquers the Martians’)
The Film Detective, a streaming service offering classic films and TV shows, is appealing to Christmas nostalgia this month with such classics as Mary Martin’s 1955 live NBC production of Peter Pan, The Little Princess (1939) and the genre-bending, mind-numbing children’s fantasy Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964).
The Film Detective is presenting a digitally remastered version of the Peter Pan broadcast, which was televised more than 60 years ago from the Ambassador Theater in New York City with the original Broadway cast.
Here’s a short clip:
The Little Princess stars Shirley Temple in a Technicolor production of the story of a girl placed in an exclusive London boarding school by her widowed father.
You can watch the entire film here:
And then for a real classic, Martians kidnap old Saint Nick in Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. The film achieved its true cult bona fides when Mystery Science Theatre 3000 gave it the treatment in a 1991 episode.
You can watch an extended MST3K segment here:
Of if you must, you can take in the entire unadulterated film:
- Mehmed Conquers Netflix - January 24, 2020
- More ‘Mysteries’ on Acorn TV - January 24, 2020
- All Arts’ Holocaust Drama - January 23, 2020
- Hulu Gets More ‘Shrill’ - January 22, 2020
- Netflix’s Last Roundup - January 21, 2020
- ‘AfroPop’ Season 12 - January 20, 2020
- Ovid Films En Español - January 17, 2020
- Inner City Rugby Drama - January 16, 2020
- Acorn TV Gets ‘Dead Lucky’ - January 16, 2020
- ‘Dead Lands’ Thriller - January 15, 2020