(Pictured above: Charlie Chaplin in ‘City Lights,’ free to stream from Kanopy)
Here’s a compelling reason to get or renew your library card – Kanopy.
If you haven’t already heard of Kanopy, it’s a free service streaming more than 26,000 films and TV shows through participating local libraries and higher education campuses worldwide.
Founded in 2008 in Australia as a seller of DVDs, Kanopy has since morphed into a San Francisco-based streamer.
Here’s a mere sampling of the Kanopy collection:
- Hundreds of “early films” from F.W. Murnau, D.W. Griffith, George Méliès, Fritz Lang, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin and other cinema pioneers;
- Over 4,000 documentaries and videos including I Am Not Your Negro, Unforgiveable Blackness, Last Day of Freedom and The Witness, as well as Ken Burns films, and titles from the American Experience and American Masters series;
- More than 500 independent films including The Girl on the Train, I, Anna, Yosemite and Lolita;
- More than 1,200 international classics such as The 400 Blows, Rashomon, 8 ½ and The Official Story.
There are thousands of other films and shows in such categories as drama, horror, romance, comedy, LGBTQ, arts and science fiction, as well as countless educational and instructional titles. If you’re looking for recommendations, Kanopy offers them under staff picks.
Kanopy allows you to view up to 10 films per month, with three days to watch each title. Once you have reached your quota, you won’t be able to play any more movies until the next month.
Finally, independent filmmakers can submit their projects directly to Kanopy to be considered for inclusion in its catalog.
To see if your library participates, visit Kanopy’s help center. If it doesn’t, you can submit a request for its inclusion.
- ‘Nest’ on Acorn TV - July 13, 2020
- Send the Kids to ‘Camp TV’ - July 10, 2020
- Grown-up Animation - July 9, 2020
- NY Times Documentary Series - July 9, 2020
- Public Domain Horror - July 7, 2020
- A Streamer with Giddy-Up - July 6, 2020
- Binge July 4th TV - July 3, 2020
- Binge ‘Hamilton’ and More - July 2, 2020
- ‘Twilight Zone’ Holiday - July 2, 2020
- Olivia de Havilland Turns 104 - July 1, 2020