(Pictured above: ‘The Lord Mayor’s Show’)
British expats and anglophiles can cross the pond this coming weekend as subscription streaming service BritBox presents The Lord Mayor’s Show and the Queen’s Remembrance Day ceremony, both live from London.
The Lord Mayor’s Show, on Saturday, November 11, covers the inaugural parade of the Lord Mayor of London, an apolitical position not to be confused with the Mayor of London.
Expect grocer Charles Bowman, the new Lord Mayor, to be feted with “a procession unlike any other in the world,” according to the event’s website: “Last year there were over 7000 participants, 20 bands, 150 horses, hundreds of other carriages, carts, coaches and other vehicles including vintage cars, steam buses, tanks, tractors, ambulances, fire engines, unicycles, steamrollers, giant robots, helicopters, ships, penny farthings, beds and bathtubs.”
Don’t believe it? Here’s footage from the wet 2016 parade:
Then, on Sunday, November 12, BritBox will live-stream Remembrance Sunday: The Cenotaph. Held annually at the Cenotaph memorial since 1945, Prince Charles will lay a wreath to commemorate fallen soldiers as Queen Elizabeth observes from a balcony. This is followed by a national service and a march by the Royal British Legion.
For a taste of what to expect, here’s last year’s event:
BritBox, which costs $6.99 per month following a seven-day free trial, is available at BritBox.com and on iPhones, Android, Apple TV and Roku.
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021
- A Look at Local Now - April 23, 2021
- ‘Secrets of the Whales’ - April 22, 2021