(Pictured above: Ida Engvoll as ‘Rebecka Martinsson’)
With winter not too far off, how about watching a murder mystery set above the Arctic Circle, in the far northern reaches of Sweden? Indeed, you might expect a dark murder mystery since that part of the world just doesn’t get much sunlight during the winter months.
The eight-part series Rebecka Martinsson, based on the crime novel series by Åsa Larsson, premieres this Monday, November 6, on subscription streaming service Acorn TV. Unlike the above trailer, Acorn will provide English subtitles!
Ida Engvoll plays the title character, a successful Stockholm lawyer who reluctantly returns to her hometown following the death of a childhood friend and finds “that not everything is as it seems.” So she gets “drawn into the gripping pursuit of a killer on the hunt for the next victim.”
Rebecka Martinsson was a huge success when it premiered on Sweden’s TV4 network last March. But this isn’t the first time the character has been portrayed on film. The 2007 feature, Solstorm, based on the first Martinsson novel, starred Izabella Scorupco in the title role. You can watch Solstorm right here:
To see the new series, you can get Acorn TV for $4.99 monthly or $49.99 for a year, starting with a seven-day free trial. You can stream the service online, on Apple TV, Roku, iOS, Android and Chromecast. For more info or to subscribe, visit acorn.tv.
- The Red Rose of Mumbai? - May 14, 2021
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021