Suroosh Alvi, co-founder of Vice and contributor to its namesake HBO news show, will take viewers inside five of the world’s deadliest terrorist organizations in the aptly named series Terror, premiering Friday at 6pm ET on CGTN America. Run by China’s national broadcaster, CGTN streams live at cgtn-america.com.
Ma Jing, director general of CGTN America, said the timely five-part series will “bring additional depth to an issue that, unfortunately, makes the news almost daily. Our hope is that understanding the inner-workings of these organizations will give further context to fight a problem that ultimately, affects us all.”
Suroosh will explore ISIS later in the series, which kicks off with a look at al-Qaeda, perpetrator of the 9/11 attacks. In the episode, Suroosh travels to the group’s birthplace, Yemen, where he meets with al-Qaeda leaders and fighters, clerics, government officials, and civilians:
In addition to ISIS and al-Qaeda, the series will investigate East Africa’s Al-Shabaab, Pakistan’s Tehrik-i-Taliban, and Nigeria’s Boko Haram.
New episodes will premiere Fridays at 6 pm, repeating Saturdays at 9 pm, as part of CGTN America’s international current affairs documentary showcase, Big Story, which launched in January.
For more information, go to cgtn-america.com and click on the Big Story tab. You can also stream episodes there on demand following their weekly premieres, which you can watch “live” on the site — along with the rest of CGTN’s news-oriented schedule — or right here:
- Emily Watson’s ‘Too Close’ - May 17, 2021
- The Red Rose of Mumbai? - May 14, 2021
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021