(Pictured above: Kate de Castillo with Sean Penn. Source: YouTube screenshot)
The notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán is the subject of a three-part documentary series debuting today on Netflix.
In The Day I Met El Chapo, Kate del Castillo, one of Mexico’s most famous television actresses, offers a first-hand account of an October 2015 meeting she and actor Sean Penn had with the then-fugitive head of a criminal drug empire. Using never-seen-footage and exclusive details, the documentary relates how the improbable encounter came to be.
The Day I Met El Chapo explains “how it began, why I pursued accepting the rights to the life story of one of the most controversial narco figures and what happened after,” said del Castillo, who is also an executive producer.
It was “the craziest ‘life imitating art’ saga I’ve ever heard, a story wrapped around a core of complex social and political issues,” said David Broome, series creator and executive producer.
Castillo’s and Penn’s audience with El Chapo is not without controversy. Penn wrote a January 2016 article about the meeting for Rolling Stone, prompting criticism of both the circumstances under which the interview was granted and the actor’s role as journalist.
Now Penn is trying to prevent Netflix from streaming the documentary because he says it implies he helped the US Department of Justice capture El Chapo.
Legal actions aside, for now you can watch The Day I Met El Chapo on Netflix.
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021