(Pictured above: Alex Karpovsky and Teddy Blanks, aka the collaborative team ‘Spielbergs’)
If only psychotherapy didn’t take so long.
That’s the premise of Shrink, a new online show that condenses interviews with celebrities about their experiences in psychotherapy into two-minute episodes.
Shrink is produced by the Spielbergs. The Spielbergs in question are not the Jaws director and his family; it’s the name for the directorial collaboration of actor/filmmaker Alex Karpovsky and designer Teddy Blanks.
The brief episodes feature “talking head interviews intercut with playful, yet surreal footage that provides a metaphorical context to stories told by the ‘patients.’” The electronic band Tanlines‘s music underscores each session.
The series, released online yesterday to coincide with National Psychotherapy Day, includes interviews with Sarah Silverman, Susan Orlean, Lena Dunham, Natasha Lyonne, Kimberly Pierce and Gary Shteyngart, each relating their experiences in psychotherapy.
Here Silverman talks about her history with therapy:
You can watch the entire season for free at spielbergs.video.
If you want a humorous, fictional take on the therapy quickie, there’s also the Lisa Kudrow comedy Web Therapy, which ran on Showtime from 2011 to 2015.
Kudrow plays Fiona Wallace, a psychotherapist who offers streamlined, three-minute sessions via webcam. The cast includes Victor Garber as her attorney-husband, Lily Tomlin as her mother, and Dan Bucatinsky as her put-upon employee. Former Friends co-stars Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, David Schwimmer and Courtney Cox have guest roles as Dr. Wallace’s patients.
You can watch Dr. Wallace interact with patient Newell Miller (Schwimmer) here:
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021