Fans of the 2009 British comedy In the Loop have a treat upcoming from subscription streaming service Sundance Now – a six-episode series, Back, that reunites the movie’s Oscar-nominated screenwriter Simon Blackwell with its co-stars David Mitchell and Robert Webb.
Since In the Loop was a political satire and Blackwell also writes for HBO’s Veep, you might expect Back to have something to do with politics. Apparently not. Sundance Now says the show is an “acerbic comedy” about “Stephen (Mitchell) as he tries to follow in his recently deceased father’s footsteps and take over the family business, but his plans are soon foiled by the unexpected return of his estranged foster brother, Andrew (Webb).”
The non-political nature of the series shouldn’t be a surprise to Anglophile comedy fans, since Mitchell and Webb are a well-known British comedy duo. Their triumphs have included the sitcom Peep Show (which Blackwell also wrote for), and the sketch series That Mitchell and Webb Look.
Back will premiere on Sundance Now in October. Until then, for a taste of Blackwell’s writing, combined with Mitchell and Webb’s teamwork, you can check out In the Loop. It’s currently available to subscribers of not only Sundance Now but also Netflix and Hulu.
And here are Mitchell and Webb in Peep Show:
Sundance Now, offering independent films, documentaries and TV series, costs $6.99 monthly or $59.99 annually after a seven-day free trial. It’s available at www.sundancenow.com, or via iOS, Android, Roku, Apple TV, Xbox, Fire TV and Chromecast.
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021