(Pictured above: Scene from the 2004 ‘Dunkirk’; Screenshot from BritBox)
Can’t wait to see Dunkirk?
Concurrent with the Christopher Nolan-helmed World War II drama opening in movie theaters , subscription streaming service BritBox has debuted its own Dunkirk. This one’s a three-episode 2004 BBC docudrama, narrated by Timothy Dalton and co-starring Benedict Cumberbatch in an early role. BritBox subscriptions cost $6.99 month after a seven-day free trial. You can also rent the 2004 Dunkirk for $1.99 from Vudu, Google Play or YouTube.
The 1940 Battle of Dunkirk and simultaneous evacuation of Allied troops has long fascinated filmmakers. In addition to the new Dunkirk and the 2004 version, an earlier 1958 British theatrical film starred John Mills and Richard Attenbourough. That Dunkirk can be streamed for $1.99 from Google Play and YouTube, or for $2.99 from iTunes and Microsoft.
Countless documentaries about the pivotal World War II event have also been made. Many are available in full online, including two which coincided with the 2004 docudrama: Dunkirk, the Soldiers’ Story and The Other Side of Dunkirk. For our factual offering, though, here’s a contemporary newsreel, from British Pathé in 1940:
- Her Revenge Starts Friday - August 11, 2020
- Unbelievable!!!!!! Trek Spoof - August 10, 2020
- Bug Appétit! Yummy? - August 10, 2020
- Tom Skerritt’s EVRGRN - August 6, 2020
- VENN: 24/7 for Gamers - August 6, 2020
- More Retro in NYC Metro - August 5, 2020
- ‘The Holocaust & Italy’ - August 3, 2020
- Evoca’s Next Gen TV Service - August 3, 2020
- ‘Upright’: Quite Alright! - July 31, 2020
- Zooming In, Hanging On - July 30, 2020