Director Spike Lee will update his 1986 film debut She’s Gotta Have It in the form of a Netflix 10-episode series with the same name. The series is scheduled to premiere Thanksgiving, November 23, 2017.
Lee is both creator and producer for the series and will direct every episode. Shots Fired’s DeWanda Wise leads the cast as Nola Darling (played in the original by Tracy Camilla Johns), “a Brooklyn-based artist in her late ’20s struggling to define herself and divide her time amongst her friends, her job and her three lovers.” The three lovers will be played by Divergent’s Cleo Anthony, The Book of Negroes’ Lyriq Bent and Hamilton’s Anthony Ramos. The series will also feature Precious’ Chyna Layne, Baywatch’s Ilfenesh Hadera, Barbershop: The Next Cut’s Margot Bingham, Love’s Sydney Morton, and Do the Right Thing’s Joie Lee.
Lee shot the original She’s Gotta Have It in black-and-white over 12 days during the summer of 1986.
Unfortunately, the film is not available to stream online although it is on DVD. Here’s a trailer:
- Send the Kids to ‘Camp TV’ - July 10, 2020
- Grown-up Animation - July 9, 2020
- NY Times Documentary Series - July 9, 2020
- Public Domain Horror - July 7, 2020
- A Streamer with Giddy-Up - July 6, 2020
- Binge July 4th TV - July 3, 2020
- Binge ‘Hamilton’ and More - July 2, 2020
- ‘Twilight Zone’ Holiday - July 2, 2020
- Olivia de Havilland Turns 104 - July 1, 2020
- Sheltered Filmmaking - June 30, 2020