(Pictured above: Adam West in ‘The Detectives’)
Pow!! Boff!! Bam!!
Adam West, who died Friday at 88, is best remembered as Batman, but how can you watch that campy ‘60s TV series now?
Over-the-air viewers can wait until Saturday when two episodes of the 1966-1968 series run on Heroes & Icons at 7 am ET, and another two at midnight on MeTV. Or watch Batman dubbed into Spanish Mondays through Wednesdays on TeleXitos, with two episodes at 2 pm and repeated at midnight.
If you’re in a hurry, or prefer streaming, you can buy individual episodes for $1.99 each from YouTube, Amazon, iTunes, Vudu or Google Play. Although Batman only ran for three seasons, with the first starting in January, 120 episodes were produced — a result of the show airing twice weekly during its first two years. So if you want to binge Batman, the more economical option would be to buy complete seasons, which cost $29.99.
We don’t have any Batman episodes to share here, but here’s West in character doing a savings bond commercial:
And here’s West in an earlier commercial, the one that reportedly brought him to the attention of Batman’s producers:
West, though, did more than commercials before Batman. For example, he starred in the 1965 “spaghetti western” The Relentless Four:
And he was a regular in the final season (1961-1962) of The Detectives:
Finally, here’s the pilot for Lookwell, a post-Batman comedy series starring West. Produced by Lorne Michaels and co-written by Conan O’Brien, it aired on NBC in 1991 but did not go to series.
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021
- A Look at Local Now - April 23, 2021
- ‘Secrets of the Whales’ - April 22, 2021