Filmmaker Morgan Neville, known for Best of Enemies: Buckley vs. Vidal, will direct a documentary for Netflix about the final 15 years of Orson Welles’ life.
The documentary “will explore Welles’ complex relationship with Hollywood, both artistically and commercially.”
Last March, Netflix announced it is funding the restoration and completion of Welles’ unfinished final feature, The Other Side of the Wind. That film, which Welles began shooting in 1970, “will have a significant presence throughout the new documentary,” and both will be released together in 2018.
“The Other Side of the Wind has long been a ghostly legend in cinema history, but the story behind it is equally fascinating,” said Neville. “I’m excited to be able to tell the incredible story behind this film and to explore what made Welles such an enduring figure.”
Welles shot footage for Wind, a planned satire of avant-guard directors, over the course of years. But as with other Welles’ films, funding was hard to come by and inevitable delays led to its being shelved indefinitely. The film stars John Huston, Peter Bogdanovich, Oja Kodar (who co-wrote the screenplay with Welles), Robert Random, Lilli Palmer, Edmond O’Brien, Cameron Mitchell, Mercedes McCambridge, Susan Strasberg, Norman Foster, Paul Stewart and Dennis Hopper.
- Black and Blue are Back - July 12, 2019
- Frankenstein Mockumentary - July 11, 2019
- Netflix Most Engaging - July 11, 2019
- Classic ‘Office’ Smells - July 10, 2019
- ‘Escape the Night’ 4 - July 9, 2019
- More ‘Harlots’ on Hulu - July 9, 2019
- Three Buddies and a Body - July 8, 2019
- For Love and Money - July 5, 2019
- Binge July 4th Movies - July 4, 2019
- Binge July 4th TV - July 3, 2019