Newsy, which calls itself “the news network for the next generation,” will launch The Why, a two-hour nightly news program, this summer.
The Why is described as the “next iteration” of its Newsy Live show, which is available on several paid streaming platforms, including Sling TV, Hulu and Roku. You can also watch Newsy Live videos and other content for free at Newsy.com.
Newsy claims that 80% of Newsy Live’s viewers are in the 18-54 age range. The Why is being positioned as Newsy’s expansion into longer-form TV programming.
“With The Why, we’re going beyond the surface of the day’s major news and connecting the events to deep context,” said Newsy vice president of news Christina Hartman.
Newsy will also debut three more series this summer:
- Sold in America, an investigative series about America’s human trafficking crisis;
- Dirt Rich, which deals with “Middle America’s changing climate”;
- Varsity Gamers, which looks at esports, or competitive video gaming, a fast-growing, half-billion-dollar industry.
Here’s a preview of those series:
Newsy, owned by The E.W. Scripps Company, says it had 1.3 billion views in 2016, making it one of the most-streamed news shows.
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021
- ‘Pray, Obey, Kill’ Docuseries - April 12, 2021