New York’s Tribeca Film Festival, founded by Robert DeNiro, has scheduled 12 free livestreams of panel discussions starting today through Sunday, April 30. To “attend” any of them, visit Facebook.com/Tribeca.
DeNiro himself will participate in perhaps the festival’s most-anticipated event – a Godfather reunion also featuring director Francis Ford Coppola and fellow stars Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton and Talia Shire. It will stream live from Radio City Music Hall at 8:10 pm ET next Saturday, April 29.
If you really want to emulate the sold-out crowd at Radio City, though, we suggest doing what those 6,000 people will have just done: watching both The Godfather and The Godfather Part II in one sitting. They’ll start their marathon day at 1 pm ET, and you can too: Rent both movies from $2.99 each at iTunes, Google Play, Vudu, PlayStation or Microsoft.
Tonight, you can catch two other Festival highlights:
- At 7 pm, director/executive producer Ron Howard, stars Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson, and other series principals will discuss the new TV series Genius. The first season, about Albert Einstein, premieres Tuesday, April 25, on National Geographic.
- Then, at 9 pm, marking today as the 18th anniversary of the mass shooting at Colorado’s Columbine High School, Michael Moore, director of the ensuing documentary Bowling for Columbine, will be joined by legendary documentarian A. Pennebaker to discuss that film’s ongoing relevancy.
Other Festival panels to be live-streamed include:
The Handmaid’s Tale (Friday, April 21, 7 pm)
Elisabeth Moss, Joseph Fiennes, Yvonne Strahovski, Samira Wiley, Alexis Bledel and other stars discuss the new series’ dystopian vision. The Handmaid’s Tale premieres Wednesday, April 26, on Hulu.
Dear Basketball (Sunday, April 23, 4:45 pm)
Former NBA superstar Kobe Bryant and animator Glen Keane, collaborators on the short film Dear Basketball, “discuss what it is like to say goodbye to something you love.” Moderator is Michael Strahan, who went from NFL great to co-host of ABC’s Good Morning America.
Girls (Tuesday, April 25, 6 pm)
Star Lena Dunham and showrunner Jenni Konner discuss the recently concluded HBO series and the TV/film industry. America Ferrera (Superstore, Ugly Betty) moderates.
Another Period (Wednesday, April 26, 6:45 pm)
Cast members Paget Brewster and Brett Gelman are among the participants in a discussion of the Comedy Central series.
Episodes (Sunday, April 30, 6:30 pm)
Matt LeBlanc and others from the Showtime series preview its final season.
For complete details on all 12 Festival livestreams, see Tribeca’s press release. For more information about the festival itself, visit the 2017 Tribeca Film Festival Film Guide. For a story about Tribeca’s “online auteurs,” go to our earlier writeup.
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021
- A Look at Local Now - April 23, 2021
- ‘Secrets of the Whales’ - April 22, 2021
- ‘Philly D.A.’ Docuseries - April 20, 2021