Over-the-air channel GetTV has unearthed two vintage sitcoms not broadcast in more than 50 years – a 1961-62 fish-out-of-water series called Mrs. G. Goes to College (aka The Gertrude Berg Show) and a 1960-61 rom-com, Peter Loves Mary. They’ll join the GetTV weekday lineup at 6am ET and 7 am ET respectively on Monday, March 20.
Mrs. G. Goes to College, whose 26 episodes originally aired on CBS, stars Gertrude Berg of the original Goldbergs series, as a middle-aged widow who enrolls as a freshman at her local university. Berg received an Emmy nomination for the role. Another Emmy nomination went to supporting actress Mary Wickes. Marion Ross, later to star as the mother in Happy Days, plays Mrs. G’s daughter.
Peter Loves Mary, whose 32 episodes originally aired on NBC, stars real life husband-and-wife Peter Lind Hayes and Mary Healy as married entertainers “who give up the glitz and glamour of New York City for life in the quiet town of Oakdale.” Bea Benaderet, later to star in Petticoat Junction, plays the couple’s housekeeper.
For info on where you can watch GetTV, go to “Get the Channel.”
- Kaye Ballard Doc Debuts - July 13, 2020
- Globetrotting Shakespeare - July 10, 2020
- ‘+Life’ Comes to Localish - July 10, 2020
- Celebrate Ultraman Day - July 9, 2020
- ‘Extraordinary’ Panels - July 9, 2020
- ‘Olympia’ Dukakis Doc - July 8, 2020
- Ringo Starr Turns 80 - July 7, 2020
- Happy 85th, The Dalai Lama! - July 6, 2020
- Molière’s ‘Tartuffe’ - July 6, 2020
- Celebrating Carl Reiner - July 3, 2020