Over-the-air channel GetTV has unearthed two vintage sitcoms not broadcast in more than 50 years – a 1961-62 fish-out-of-water series called Mrs. G. Goes to College (aka The Gertrude Berg Show) and a 1960-61 rom-com, Peter Loves Mary. They’ll join the GetTV weekday lineup at 6am ET and 7 am ET respectively on Monday, March 20.
Mrs. G. Goes to College, whose 26 episodes originally aired on CBS, stars Gertrude Berg of the original Goldbergs series, as a middle-aged widow who enrolls as a freshman at her local university. Berg received an Emmy nomination for the role. Another Emmy nomination went to supporting actress Mary Wickes. Marion Ross, later to star as the mother in Happy Days, plays Mrs. G’s daughter.
Peter Loves Mary, whose 32 episodes originally aired on NBC, stars real life husband-and-wife Peter Lind Hayes and Mary Healy as married entertainers “who give up the glitz and glamour of New York City for life in the quiet town of Oakdale.” Bea Benaderet, later to star in Petticoat Junction, plays the couple’s housekeeper.
For info on where you can watch GetTV, go to “Get the Channel.”
- Emily Watson’s ‘Too Close’ - May 17, 2021
- The Red Rose of Mumbai? - May 14, 2021
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021