This Old House Insider

This Old House Insider is a new subscription streaming service offering 24 seasons of This Old House (more than 500 episodes), 15 seasons of Ask This Old House (more than 350 episodes), live Q&A sessions with show experts and live webcam views of current projects, as well as 22 years of This Old House magazine (more than 200 issues).

Charter subscribers also get a “crew t-shirt” (valued at $26) and discount offers for such retailers as Homeclick.

How much does all this cost? Now, that’s a good question. Visiting www.thisoldhouse.com/learn gets you all the information above and lots of invitations for …you guessed it…a 30-day free trial – but nothing about how much you’ll be charged once your trial ends.

So we decided to start filling out the registration forms to find out. First, we created an account, including providing a t-shirt size. Then, voila! The cost turned out to be $6.97 a month, with an annual payment of $83.64 charged immediately to our credit card.

We didn’t subscribe, but if you’re a home improvement fanatic, a continual fixer-upper, or just an avid viewer of the two TV series, This Old House Insider just might be the perfect streaming service for you.

This Old House Insider trailer:

About Les Luchter

Les Luchter is a former managing editor of Multichannel News, editor-in-chief of Cable Marketing, and news editor of Broadcast Week.

12 thoughts on “This Old House Insider”

1. I just recently noticed a fraudulent charge of $95.60 from this Old House in my bank statement. Could not get through to the number provided because it asks for a membership number that I do not have. So, I called this old house Customer Service (1800-898-7237). They refuse to give me a contact number other than the dead end 1-800 no. at This Old House Insider, a company they keep referring to as a “third party” that charged me the $95.60. After a week I called customer service back for an update on my case. There was no update and nothing was done and now I’m being told it will take 2-3 weeks to process a refund. I have a feeling I’m being lied to.

2. If you are thinking of sending money to This Old House Insider put youir credit card back in your wallet. Its a scam. I was just looking through my check book and found they took $95.60 out of my checking account.

3. Les Luchter: The instructions you left for Barbara Gresham regarding this old house insider is so bogus. The phone # is just a recording and you can’t get ahold of anyone. I’ve been trying for 3 days now. I also sent them several emails regarding my refund and I have not heard from any one. I also called This Old House Ventures, the home business for TOH, and there is only an answering machine. The only contact I can make is with TOH magazine staff and they don’t have anything to do with insider. However, they have escalated my situation. If I don’t hear from anyone soon, I am taking them to small claims court. They sure took my $ out of my account fast but I can’t get a refund. I had a trial version of Insider and then opted for continued service on 3/18. On 3/19 I cancelled and received an email confirming this. But no refund yet and its 3/21. I am VERY angry with them.

4. My bank account was just charged $95.60 for SOMETHING I don’t know about. When I called they said my husband ordered something. MY HUSBAND DIED IN 1997. He obviously did not do this. I want my money back.

• Barbara, The Savvy Screener is not affiliated with This Old House, but we’ve consulted their website and you can contact them by emailing membersupport@thisoldhouse.com or calling toll-free at 1-800-324-6743. The hours are Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm ET, and Saturday and Sunday 9 am to 5 pm ET

5. Show is good. The website is a scam, and yes, I mean that literally. They will send you email everyday about getting a free t-shirt with an $85 fee to sign up.

6. Good article. This is the only one I have been able to find that puts it out in frank terms–all that good stuff from TOH now costs $84 a year. It’s not worth it. I am a do it yourselfer and part time handyman who found TOH segments helpful to START figuring out how to do some project, but not definitive. Plenty of free stuff out there for that.

I also am a long time print subscriber to TOH magazine. I can find no evidence that that means anything for discounted access to their now-not-free web content. Take that! long time customers.

Finally, their price point is way off. Experienced repairmen and remodelers are not going to spend $84 to watch TOH actors help “haven’t-a-clue” home owners solve problems. Nor are “haven’t-a-clue” home owners going to pay that much to learn 10% or how to do a project in their home. Consider that the “Family Handyman” magazine and web content costs about $15 a year, and the web access to “Fine Woodworking” (the bible of woodworking) about the same. $84 is way way out of line.

7. Would like 83.64 returned to my checking account my husband and never subscribed to anything we are on a fixed income and my husband just had a stroke this is my second message please respond.

• Sharon, The Savvy Screener is not affiliated with This Old House, but we’ve consulted their website and you can contact them by emailing membersupport@thisoldhouse.com or calling toll-free at 1-800-324-6743. The hours are Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm ET, and Saturday and Sunday 9 am to 5 pm ET

8. Free month trial or not I never give out my credit card information unless I’m buying something. And I never buy from a site that hides the cost. It a very sleazy business practice. The price and conditions should be on the first page or available from the first before you enter any information.

9. Thanks for the information on ATOH Insider costs. I was trying to find out yesterday but didn’t want to go through the signup just to find out. I don’t like it when organizations hide their costs….

10. Nice!
    What was free recently now has a paywall. Also gone are most of the YouTube full episodes.
    True, they throw in some sweeteners: more old TOH projects and magazine access.
    Worth it? Good question.