Ricky Gervais’ mockumentary creation, David Brent, returns today on Netflix in a new film, David Brent: Life on the Road.
Directed, written and produced by Gervais, Life on the Road picks up where BBC2’s The Office left off 14 years earlier. Brent, now a traveling salesman sustained by dreams of rock stardom, cashes in his pension and forms a band, “Foregone Conclusion,” consisting of session musicians and a rapper called Dom, played by Ben Bailey Smith.
Gervais talked about the new film with Graham Norton last April when it was announced as a theatrical release in the United Kingdom. In the interview, Gervais described Brent as “a man out of time… It’s funny, but it’s quite sad as well.”
The new film also includes original music and lyrics by Gervais, with arrangements by Andy Burrows of Razorlight and We Are Scientists. You can purchase the 20-song album from iTunes for $9.99 or individual tracks for $1.29.
The Office was also successfully adapted for US television, with Steve Carell playing Michael Scott, the American version of David Brent. That series ran for nine seasons.
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021