Grant Tinker, who died this week at 90, achieved everlasting fame as co-creator of MTM Enterprises with then-wife Mary Tyler Moore.
Of the nearly four dozen series produced by MTM between 1970 and 1998, the company’s first two efforts still stand tall today as sitcom royalty – The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-1977) and The Bob Newhart Show (1972-78).
You can stream the first three seasons of both The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Bob Newhart Show for free on Yahoo View, but for the remaining seasons of each, you’ll need to pay $1.99 per episode on Amazon, iTunes or Vudu. You can also watch episodes from the fifth season of Mary Tyler Moore on over-the-air channel MeTV Sunday nights at midnight ET.
Here’s episode one of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and the final season premiere of The Bob Newhart Show:
After Tinker divorced Moore, left MTM and became CEO of NBC, Bob Newhart’s second show for MTM, titled simply Newhart, turned into the company’s longest-running series (1982-1999). You’ll only find the first three seasons online, for free at Yahoo View, with episodes from season six currently running weeknights at 1 am and 1:30 am ET on over-the-air channel Antenna TV.
Reminiscent of the Thanksgiving episode of WKRP in Cincinnati (another MTM show), one episode of Newhart is remembered above all the rest. In this case, it’s the final episode, #184, named by Entertainment Weekly in 2013 as the top series finale of all time:
(Note: Our featured image of the MTM logo was obtained through a screen grab from the above video.)
- ‘Will & Grace’ Returns - October 23, 2019
- A Meeting of Kings - October 22, 2019
- ‘Intelligent Lives’ Doc - October 21, 2019
- Dorothy Stratten Videos - October 18, 2019
- YouTube’s ‘Booktube’ - October 17, 2019
- Facebook’s ‘Limetown’ - October 16, 2019
- An Ad-Supported MHz - October 16, 2019
- ‘Craig Fixada America’ - October 15, 2019
- Fill up on ‘Corner Gas’ - October 14, 2019
- Robert Forster Sampler - October 14, 2019