Grant Tinker, who died this week at 90, achieved everlasting fame as co-creator of MTM Enterprises with then-wife Mary Tyler Moore.
Of the nearly four dozen series produced by MTM between 1970 and 1998, the company’s first two efforts still stand tall today as sitcom royalty – The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-1977) and The Bob Newhart Show (1972-78).
You can stream the first three seasons of both The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Bob Newhart Show for free on Yahoo View, but for the remaining seasons of each, you’ll need to pay $1.99 per episode on Amazon, iTunes or Vudu. You can also watch episodes from the fifth season of Mary Tyler Moore on over-the-air channel MeTV Sunday nights at midnight ET.
Here’s episode one of The Mary Tyler Moore Show and the final season premiere of The Bob Newhart Show:
After Tinker divorced Moore, left MTM and became CEO of NBC, Bob Newhart’s second show for MTM, titled simply Newhart, turned into the company’s longest-running series (1982-1999). You’ll only find the first three seasons online, for free at Yahoo View, with episodes from season six currently running weeknights at 1 am and 1:30 am ET on over-the-air channel Antenna TV.
Reminiscent of the Thanksgiving episode of WKRP in Cincinnati (another MTM show), one episode of Newhart is remembered above all the rest. In this case, it’s the final episode, #184, named by Entertainment Weekly in 2013 as the top series finale of all time:
(Note: Our featured image of the MTM logo was obtained through a screen grab from the above video.)
- ‘Petrunya,’ Unlikely Rebel - June 21, 2021
- Free ‘Weasel’ & ‘Monkey’ - June 18, 2021
- Stream ‘Cracka’ Free - June 18, 2021
- Revry Escorts ‘Strut’ 6/18 - June 17, 2021
- Lubin’s Silent Film Empire - June 17, 2021
- ‘Oral’ Pilot Reading 6/17 - June 16, 2021
- Welcome Back, ‘iCarly’ - June 15, 2021
- ‘Rent’ Comes to Cuba - June 15, 2021
- Fredi Washington: ‘Ouanga’ - June 14, 2021
- Peacock Struts on JustWatch - June 11, 2021