History’s recent four-episode, eight-hour remake of the groundbreaking 1977 miniseries Roots is now available to Hulu subscribers. But if the new Roots whetted your appetite for the original eight-part, 9.5-hour version, you’ve needed to shell out $35 to stream it via Amazon.
That changes tomorrow night, November 16, when you can start watching the original for free over-the-air on Bounce TV. The channel will run all eight episodes at 9 pm ET over five nights through Sunday. Then, on November 26, the day after Thanksgiving, the entire miniseries will run starting at 11 am.
Based on Alex Haley’s novel of the same name, Roots is a historical retelling of American slavery and one family’s determination to survive and persevere from one generation to the next. It stars LeVar Burton, John Amos, Cicely Tyson, Ben Vereen and Louis Gosett, Jr., Leslie Uggams and Ed Asner. As noted by Museum.TV, the original show was a record-breaker for its time, with more than 100 million viewers, almost half the nation, watching the final episode.
Visit Bounce TV’s “Find Us” page to locate where you can watch locally.
And here, as seen on ABC-TV in 1977, is the first hour of the Roots phenomenon:
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021