ABC has announced a 10-episode revival of the classic “irreverent talent show competition” The Gong Show. We don’t know when those episodes will air, but you can whet your appetite in the meantime by binging on a bunch of classic Gong Show episodes via YouTube.
These streamable Gong Shows are from the series’ original Chuck Barris-hosted era (1976-1980). They include the final episode of the NBC daytime version, which you can see right here as it originally aired in Cleveland (thanks to YouTuber GaryMooreFan):
“The comedy culture we are living in has finally caught up to The Gong Show, so the timing is perfect,” said Holly Jacobs, executive vice president, Reality and Syndication Programming, for rights holder Sony Pictures Television.
In fact, though, Sony has revived The Gong Show late in every decade since its original incarnation –with versions hosted by Don Bleu (1988-1989), George Gray (1998-1999, as Extreme Gong) and Dave Attell (2008). All received a quick gong from the public, and none of them seem to have epsiodes available for streaming.
No host has been named for the ABC version, but actor/comedian Will Arnett is one of the executive producers.
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021
- A Look at Local Now - April 23, 2021
- ‘Secrets of the Whales’ - April 22, 2021
- ‘Philly D.A.’ Docuseries - April 20, 2021