Series dramatizing rock life haven’t fared too well recently. Showtime’s Roadies and HBO’s Vinyl were each cancelled after one season, FX’s Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll after two. Now meet Break: The Musical on YouTube.
Produced and written by Mary Bonney, who has been creative producer and staff writer for the LA Music Blog, the five short-form episodes star Bonney as Kate, a music journalist who “lands the interview of a lifetime with her rock star idol that changes both their lives. When Kate’s gossip-hungry editor puts a spin on her article, Kate’s integrity is put on the line and she is faced with a dilemma that will either make or break her.”
America’s Got Talent finalist Brian Justin Crum plays the rock star, and Whitney Avalon the editor. Avalon is the producer, writer and star of the YouTube hit series Princess Rap Battle.
The first episode of Break: The Musical, which is more musical theater than rock and roll, has posted on Bonney’s YouTube channel, and can be seen right here:
The remaining episodes will debut on the next four Wednesdays, starting September 28.
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021
- A Look at Local Now - April 23, 2021
- ‘Secrets of the Whales’ - April 22, 2021
- ‘Philly D.A.’ Docuseries - April 20, 2021