Reruns of the original Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) will premiere on sci-fi channel Comet this Sunday, September 4. The cult favorite dedicated to skewering film classics will kick off with a double feature: Manos, Hands of Fate (1966) at 8pm ET, followed by Teenagers from Outer Space (1959).
Comet has acquired Mystery Science Theater 3000 from Shout! Factory, which also offers Manos, Hands of Fate, Teenagers from Outer Space, and 65 other MST3K favorites for free on-demand viewing on its own Shout Factory TV service. Shout! Factory last month announced the successful funding for production of 14 new episodes to run on Netflix in the “not-too-distant future.
The original Mystery Science Theater 3000 broadcast 198 episodes on Comedy Central (originally known as The Comedy Channel) and later on Sci-Fi Channel (now Syfy) from 1988 to 1999. A feature film was also produced in 1996. The premise: mad scientists maroon a human host and his two robots aboard the “Satellite of Love,” forcing them to endure an endless marathon of B movies. Luckily for viewers, the man and his bots add a special layer of commentary that offer a fresh take on films that otherwise would be relegated to Alpha Centauri.
Speaking of B movies, the day after MTSK3 premieres, Comet will celebrate Labor Day with a Godzilla marathon from 10 am to 8pm: Gojira, Godzilla Raids Again, Rodan, Godzilla’s Revenge, and Godzilla, King of the Monsters!
The original MTSK3 riffs on Godzilla vs. Megalon and Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster are hard to find, but thanks to this Redit thread, we’ve got them for you right here:
- Tulsa Race Massacre, 1921 - May 18, 2021
- Emily Watson’s ‘Too Close’ - May 17, 2021
- The Red Rose of Mumbai? - May 14, 2021
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021