Under the umbrella theme of “A Touch of Happiness,” Eurochannel tonight launches its eighth annual “Short Films Tour” from 9-11 pm ET. The first of at least five weekly installments, tonight’s subtitled films include seven dramas and comedies from Serbia, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland, France, Italy and the Czech Republic, including one animated short – Portugal’s Countryside by the Sea (2015), with this plot summary: “As soon as summer comes around, strange invaders occupy the beaches.” Here’s an excerpt:
Eurochannel promises that all the films during the next five weeks will be “short cinematic masterpieces reflecting a sense of happiness, in one way or another, with dazzling stories.”
So how can you see all of them, including the rest of Countryside by the Sea? Here are two ways we know to access Eurochannel:
- On TikiLive, channel 8. (Note: since the last time TheSavvyScreener wrote about TikiLive, Eurochannel has switched from a free channel to part of a $5.99/month pay package
- On Sling, as part of any of the following English International packages: Vietnamese, Filipino, Taiwanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Urdu, Telugu, Tamil, Punjabi, Marathi, Malayalam, Hindi, Kannada, Bengali, Bangla, Brazilian or Arabic. The Sling site touts pricing “as low as” $25 a month.
If you do subscribe to Eurochannel, here is additional noteworthy programming airing next week:
- Wednesday, August 24, 9:30 pm ET: The Idealist (Denmark, 2015), which The Savvy Screener recommends for fans of Spotlight and All the Presidents Men. It’s the true story of a Danish journalist who — two decades later — uncovers the truth about what really happened when an American bomber carrying nuclear warheads crashed in Greenland in 1968.
- Saturday, August 27, 8 pm ET: The premiere of Einstein: The Theory of Love, a four-part Russian series (2013), also based on real events. This relates “the controversial and questioned love affair” between Einstein and Margarita Konenkova, the wife of a famous Soviet sculptor who was “believed to be a secret Russian agent” out to obtain nuclear secrets during World War II. You can also watch this miniseries for free, after registration, on the Russia Television and Radio site.
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021