Rolr (pronounced “roller’) said it has been working with several major film studios – including Paramount, Sony, Universal and Warner Bros. – on its new iOS app that allows users to “act out” scenes from popular movies with other users. The app currently features scenes from 45 films, ranging from 1954’s Creature from the Black Lagoon to now-in-theaters Central Intelligence. An Android version is expected soon.
After choosing a film, scene and character, an in-app teleprompter guides users to record their role. They can then invite others to be their co-stars.
Rolr was founded by actor Edward Kerr, who has a recurring role on Freeform’s Pretty Little Liars. Kerr describes the app as a movie version of karaoke. “Rolr is essentially an acting machine – a way for people to express their own personalities and experience what it’s like to play the role. Our goal is to literally get the world to act together by bringing people of all ages and interests into entertaining interactions within the context of popular scenes from film and television.”
- BitMovio’s Beta Launch - February 20, 2019
- Netflix: ‘Workin’ Moms’ - February 20, 2019
- Davis, Pride & ‘Me’ - February 19, 2019
- ‘Amos ‘n Andy Anatomy’ - February 15, 2019
- Unlikely Superheroes - February 15, 2019
- HG Wells & JJ Abrams - February 14, 2019
- ‘Singer Presents…Elvis’ - February 13, 2019
- Classic TV Weddings - February 13, 2019
- ‘The Way We Weren’t’ - February 12, 2019
- ‘Moscow Never Sleeps’ - February 12, 2019