A major world leader will be elected this fall – in addition to President of the United States. This other election is to choose the ninth Secretary General in the 70-year history of the United Nations. The only voters will be the 15 members of the UN Security Council, but for the first time ever candidates are publicly campaigning. And you can watch them do so live.
There are currently 11 candidates representing countries ranging from Argentina to Slovenia (see the complete list here) – and they’ll kick off the official campaign with a “global town hall debate” from the UN General Assembly on Tuesday, July 12, from 6:30 pm to 9 pm ET. Al Jazeera, selected as “broadcast partner” by the UN, will carry the debate live on all its outlets, including Al Jazeera English and AJ+ on YouTube and Facebook. The live feed will also be offered to UN Television and other outlets.
The town hall audience will include “diplomats, observers, civil society, and UN Staff, among others,” according to Al Jazeera. The evening will begin with a pre-debate show at 6 pm ET.
- Rotten Tomatoes Channel - May 13, 2021
- 85 Years of Wavy Gravy - May 12, 2021
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021