A major world leader will be elected this fall – in addition to President of the United States. This other election is to choose the ninth Secretary General in the 70-year history of the United Nations. The only voters will be the 15 members of the UN Security Council, but for the first time ever candidates are publicly campaigning. And you can watch them do so live.
There are currently 11 candidates representing countries ranging from Argentina to Slovenia (see the complete list here) – and they’ll kick off the official campaign with a “global town hall debate” from the UN General Assembly on Tuesday, July 12, from 6:30 pm to 9 pm ET. Al Jazeera, selected as “broadcast partner” by the UN, will carry the debate live on all its outlets, including Al Jazeera English and AJ+ on YouTube and Facebook. The live feed will also be offered to UN Television and other outlets.
The town hall audience will include “diplomats, observers, civil society, and UN Staff, among others,” according to Al Jazeera. The evening will begin with a pre-debate show at 6 pm ET.
- Her Revenge Starts Friday - August 11, 2020
- Unbelievable!!!!!! Trek Spoof - August 10, 2020
- Bug Appétit! Yummy? - August 10, 2020
- Tom Skerritt’s EVRGRN - August 6, 2020
- VENN: 24/7 for Gamers - August 6, 2020
- More Retro in NYC Metro - August 5, 2020
- ‘The Holocaust & Italy’ - August 3, 2020
- Evoca’s Next Gen TV Service - August 3, 2020
- ‘Upright’: Quite Alright! - July 31, 2020
- Zooming In, Hanging On - July 30, 2020