Lost in Space, Irwin Allen’s campy TV space drama featuring a wise-cracking robot, a malingering, scheming stowaway and growling aliens waving bedspreads, will return in a new incarnation to Netflix in 2018.
Netflix has ordered a 10-episode first season of the 1-hour sci-fi drama from Legendary TV. A cast has not been announced.
As with the 1960s series, the Netflix version will focus on the space-traveling Robinson family, whose spaceship veers light years off course from their planned destination, forcing them to survive in strange worlds. Described as “equal parts family drama and sci-fi adventure,” it’s hard to get a sense just how closely this iteration will adhere to the tone of the classic.
“The original series so deftly captured both drama and comedy, and that made it very appealing to a broad audience. The current creative team’s reimagining of the series for Netflix is sure to appeal to both fans who fondly remember the original and to create a new generation of enthusiasts around the world,” said Cindy Holland, Netflix VP of original content.
A straight-forward film remake starring William Hurt, Mimi Rogers and Matt LeBlanc was released in 1998 and is available for streaming or DVD purchase on Amazon, and DVD rental on Netflix.
All three seasons of the original, starring Guy Williams as Professor Robinson, June Lockhart as Maureen Robinson, Mark Goddard as Major Don West, Marta Kristen as Judy Robinson, Angela Cartwright as Penny Robinson, Bill Mumy as Will Robinson, and Jonathan Harris as Dr. Smith, can be streamed on Amazon for $1.99 per episode in SD, $2.99 in HD.
- BET+ Streamer Launches - September 20, 2019
- More ‘Disenchantment’ - September 19, 2019
- ‘Couch Tomatoes’ - September 19, 2019
- NBC’s Peacock Preview - September 18, 2019
- Spy’s Work-Life Balance - September 17, 2019
- Dropout’s ‘Game Changer’ - September 17, 2019
- ‘Two Ferns’ Movie - September 16, 2019
- Burns’ ‘Country Music’ - September 13, 2019
- This Weekend on Netflix - September 12, 2019
- Coming to Apple TV+ - September 11, 2019