It’s a good time to be an online video celebrity.
Time Inc., for one, has launched Instant, a video site designed specifically for what it calls ‘The New Famous’ – the digital artists of YouTube, Instagram, YouNow, Musical.ly, and beyond. Although Time says Instant is “designed exclusively for mobile web” at Instant.Me, you can catch it on your computer right here as well.
Instant’s “Launch Squad” includes Baby Ariel, termed musical.ly’s #1 artist; Vine star Jake Paul (5.1 million followers); YouNow star RudanC, who will host a weekly talk show on Instant called IRL; actress/comedian/singer Teala Dunn (aka Tealaxx2, with over 1.5 million followers) on YouTube; fashion and beauty guru Mia Stammer (aka MamaMiaMakeup, with over 2.5 YouTube followers); and “Petfluencer” DJ Mini Matt, owned by YouTube star iJustine (nearly 3 million followers). Instant said it has also partnered with a number of contributors to the women’s HelloGiggles site.
YouTube, meanwhile, said a number of its most popular celebs — The Young Turks, AIB, Platica Polinesia, SacconeJolys and Alex Wassabi – will be the first users of a brand new live streaming feature through its mobile app.
And Netflix announced that Haters Back Off – its new series expanding on Colleen Ballinger’s YouTube character Miranda Sings – will premiere Oct. 14 with eight episodes. Social media star Cameron Dallas (Vine, YouTube, etc.) has also signed for a Netflix reality series that will follow him “as he looks to take his career to the next level.” Sounds like he—and Ballinger — already have.
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021
- Exploring Mosquito Coasts - April 29, 2021
- Virtual Wellness Retreat - April 29, 2021
- Rewind TV in September - April 27, 2021
- A Look at Local Now - April 23, 2021
- ‘Secrets of the Whales’ - April 22, 2021
- ‘Philly D.A.’ Docuseries - April 20, 2021