YouTube has ordered a full season of Lionsgate’s drama series Step Up, based on a film franchise that took in $650 million globally.
Step Up, which chronicles the lives of dancers in a performing arts school, is scheduled to start production later this year. When it debuts in 2017, it will be the first original scripted series on YouTube Red.
For $9.99 per month, YouTube Red, described as an uninterrupted, “premium YouTube Music experience,” offers viewers exclusive access to new original series and movies from YouTube creators.
Other upcoming YouTube Red originals include:
- Rhett & Link’s Buddy System, a comedy series featuring Saturday Night Live alums Molly Shannon and Chris Parnell
- Dan & Phil Tour Documentary, with YouTube comedy stars Dan Howell and Phil Lester taking fans inside their latest world tour, “The Amazing Tour is Not on Fire.”
- Vlogumentary, executive-produced by award-winning filmmaker Morgan Spurlock of Super Size Me fame and Shay “ShayCarl” Butler, offering a personal, behind-the-scenes look at some of YouTube’s biggest creators.
Susanne Daniels, global head of original content, wrote on YouTube’s blog, “Our original series and movies are one of the leading drivers of YouTube Red subscriptions, with viewership that rivals similar cable shows.”
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021
- Chicken, Statue on Peacock - April 21, 2021
- ‘Midsomer Murders’ Season 22 - April 19, 2021
- ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ Binge - April 16, 2021
- AMC+’s Cold War Thriller - April 14, 2021