Trivia: From 1954 to 1977, three classic TV dads – Jim Anderson, Steve Douglas and Fred Sanford– ruled the airwaves. But never at the same time! Anderson’s Father Knows Best left the air after the 1959-1960 season. That fall, Douglas’ My Three Sons began, lasting through 1971-1972. Then Fred Sanford’s Sanford & Son premiered.
Of course, Jim, Steve and Fred rule their households forever in rerun land. So this Sunday, Father’s Day, you can sample all three dads.
Let’s start with over-the-air channels Antenna TV and Decades, which will respectively air marathons of Sanford & Son and My Three Sons.
Antenna TV will air 34 episodes of Sanford & Son, spanning the show’s six-season run, from 5 am to 10 p.m. ET. The show airs regularly weeknights at 6 pm. If you can’t get Antenna TV or just want to watch episodes on demand, you can also find some 60 episodes on YouTube.
Decades will start its My Three Suns “binge” of 84 episodes on Saturday at 1 pm ET, running through 7 am Monday morning. One of the longest-running series in TV history, My Three Sons aired for 12 seasons, and Decades will show episodes from seasons seven through 10. But if you’d like to see the very first episode, here it is:
As for Father Knows Best, no on-air marathons, but you can watch any episode from its six-year run at anytime on the free ad-supported site Shout Factory TV. Episodes of Father Knows Best also air weekday mornings at 8 and 8:30 on Antenna TV
Father Knows Best
- 1st Play Written by a Robot - February 25, 2021
- Tom and Jerry are Back - February 25, 2021
- Billie Eilish Launch Event - February 24, 2021
- BBC Select Launches - February 22, 2021
- ‘It’s a Sin’ on HBO Max - February 18, 2021
- Murder Hornets & Vaccines - February 17, 2021
- Prime’s New Musical Coda - February 16, 2021
- A Mini-‘Friends’ Reunion? - February 12, 2021
- ‘Safer Sex’ on Condom Day - February 12, 2021
- Relax through Streaming - February 11, 2021