Rick Gervais has some news for fans of the original BBC series, The Office.
Deadline reports that Netflix has secured the exclusive US and select international rights to premiere The Office spinoff movie, David Brent: Life on the Road, in 2017.
Gervais first discussed the Netflix deal on the June 16 Opie with Jim Norton Show. The new feature-length mockumentary follows Brent 12 years after the last installment of The Office, the 2003 Christmas special. He’s now a traveling salesman and would-be rock star on a UK tour with his band Foregone Conclusion. The cast includes Ben Bailey Smith as Dom and writer-comedian Tom Basden as Dan, Brent’s road manager, as well as new office colleagues. Andy Burrows of Razorlight and We Are Scientists fame plays the band’s drummer. Burrows also produced the film’s soundtrack, according to his website.
The Netflix agreement doesn’t include the UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand, where the film will premiere as a theatrical release in August.
Netflix subscribers can stream episodes from series 1 and series 2.
- Father & Son Serial Killers? - May 17, 2021
- Epic Flight to Freedom - May 14, 2021
- Wanda Sykes’ Netflix Sitcom - May 12, 2021
- Live Longer and Prosper - May 10, 2021
- Drug-Addled ET on Shudder - May 7, 2021
- Pluto TV En Español - May 5, 2021
- Siblings’ Bad Road Trip - May 3, 2021
- Time-bending Spycraft - April 30, 2021
- Troubled Siblings and Murder - April 28, 2021
- ‘Romeo & Juliet’ Film on PBS - April 23, 2021