Muhammad Ali, world champion boxer, beloved humanitarian….and actor? Perhaps not his greatest skill, but Ali did take his shot as a thespian on both the big and small screen.
Two years later, Ali starred in an NBC TV mini-series Freedom Road, playing a man who goes from slavery to the U.S. Senate. Alas, the full film doesn’t seem to be available anywhere, but here’s a short clip:
On TV, Ali starred as himself in a 1979 episode of the sitcom Diff’rent Strokes titled “Arnold’s Hero.” Watch it on YouTube.
As early as 1962, when he was a young Cassius Clay, Ali was already appearing on the big screen – as himself in the Rod Serling-penned drama Requiem for a Heavyweight. The flick is available starting at $2.99 from YouTube, iTunes, Amazon Video, Vudu and Google Play.
Ali also played himself in:
- the 1985 comedy feature Doin’ Time
- a 1999 episode of Touched By An Angel, titled “Fighting the Good Fight”
Finally, “the greatest” appeared in the 1981 remake of Body and Soul and in a 1980 episode of Vega$ titled “The Eleventh Event.” Our research team couldn’t find a streaming source for these two titles. Let us know if you have better luck!
- 1st Play Written by a Robot - February 25, 2021
- Tom and Jerry are Back - February 25, 2021
- Billie Eilish Launch Event - February 24, 2021
- BBC Select Launches - February 22, 2021
- ‘It’s a Sin’ on HBO Max - February 18, 2021
- Murder Hornets & Vaccines - February 17, 2021
- Prime’s New Musical Coda - February 16, 2021
- A Mini-‘Friends’ Reunion? - February 12, 2021
- ‘Safer Sex’ on Condom Day - February 12, 2021
- Relax through Streaming - February 11, 2021