Muhammad Ali, world champion boxer, beloved humanitarian….and actor? Perhaps not his greatest skill, but Ali did take his shot as a thespian on both the big and small screen.
Two years later, Ali starred in an NBC TV mini-series Freedom Road, playing a man who goes from slavery to the U.S. Senate. Alas, the full film doesn’t seem to be available anywhere, but here’s a short clip:
On TV, Ali starred as himself in a 1979 episode of the sitcom Diff’rent Strokes titled “Arnold’s Hero.” Watch it on YouTube.
As early as 1962, when he was a young Cassius Clay, Ali was already appearing on the big screen – as himself in the Rod Serling-penned drama Requiem for a Heavyweight. The flick is available starting at $2.99 from YouTube, iTunes, Amazon Video, Vudu and Google Play.
Ali also played himself in:
- the 1985 comedy feature Doin’ Time
- a 1999 episode of Touched By An Angel, titled “Fighting the Good Fight”
Finally, “the greatest” appeared in the 1981 remake of Body and Soul and in a 1980 episode of Vega$ titled “The Eleventh Event.” Our research team couldn’t find a streaming source for these two titles. Let us know if you have better luck!
- We Clap for ‘Clipped’ - May 11, 2021
- A Canary Islands Thriller - May 11, 2021
- Guide to ‘Those Who Kill’ - May 10, 2021
- Lori Arnold, Queen of Meth - May 7, 2021
- ‘Vax Live’ Concert May 8 - May 7, 2021
- Shift Your World Festival - May 6, 2021
- Classic Fest on HBO Max - May 5, 2021
- Simpsons, Star Wars Unite - May 4, 2021
- It’s the Darndest Thing! - May 4, 2021
- RIP Olympia Dukakis - May 1, 2021