For a brief period in film history, former Australian car mechanic George Lazenby was a major star. In 1969, Lazenby succeeded the legendary Sean Connery as James Bond. But after one movie — On Her Majesty’s Secret Service – and an offer to make the next six Bond films, Connery reprised Bond for Diamonds Are Forever (1971) before relinquishing the spy role to Roger Moore.
So what’s Lazenby’s story? Luckily for Hulu subscribers, deciphering his wild cinematic roller coaster ride hasn’t required an MI6 investigation – just a 90-minute film titled Becoming Bond, premiering this Saturday, May 20.
While Hulu labels Becoming Bond a documentary, the film appears to be more of a docudrama, with reenactments added to archived footage and present-day comments by Lazenby. The cast includes Josh Lawson as Lazenby; Jane Seymour, herself a “Bond girl” in Moore’s Live and Let Die (1973), as “Maggie”; and SNL alum Dana Carvey as Johnny Carson.
If Becoming Bond whets your appetite to see Lazenby in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service – or if you’d like to see it before watching the doc — Hulu’s got you covered there too. The classic film, also starring Diana Rigg as the “Bond woman” (via the trailer below), and Telly Savalas as the villain, is already available on the subscription service.
- Tale of Two Sitcoms - September 21, 2017
- UN Peace Day Broadcast - September 20, 2017
- High Holy Days Online - September 20, 2017
- Baldwin’s Philharmonic - September 19, 2017
- Hispanic Heritage Docs - September 19, 2017
- ‘Doc Martin’ Thursday - September 18, 2017
- Entertale’s Africa Tale - September 18, 2017
- ‘Origin of Everything’ - September 15, 2017
- Ellen Shows Us More - September 15, 2017
- Netflix Gets Coben - September 14, 2017