For a brief period in film history, former Australian car mechanic George Lazenby was a major star. In 1969, Lazenby succeeded the legendary Sean Connery as James Bond. But after one movie — On Her Majesty’s Secret Service – and an offer to make the next six Bond films, Connery reprised Bond for Diamonds Are Forever (1971) before relinquishing the spy role to Roger Moore.
So what’s Lazenby’s story? Luckily for Hulu subscribers, deciphering his wild cinematic roller coaster ride hasn’t required an MI6 investigation – just a 90-minute film titled Becoming Bond, premiering this Saturday, May 20.
While Hulu labels Becoming Bond a documentary, the film appears to be more of a docudrama, with reenactments added to archived footage and present-day comments by Lazenby. The cast includes Josh Lawson as Lazenby; Jane Seymour, herself a “Bond girl” in Moore’s Live and Let Die (1973), as “Maggie”; and SNL alum Dana Carvey as Johnny Carson.
If Becoming Bond whets your appetite to see Lazenby in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service – or if you’d like to see it before watching the doc — Hulu’s got you covered there too. The classic film, also starring Diana Rigg as the “Bond woman” (via the trailer below), and Telly Savalas as the villain, is already available on the subscription service.
- Isn’t it Snowmantic? - November 24, 2017
- ThanksStreaming Day - November 22, 2017
- David Cassidy, 1950-2017 - November 22, 2017
- Mubi, Curiosity On VRV - November 21, 2017
- ‘November Criminals’ - November 21, 2017
- Dockery Goes ‘Godless’ - November 20, 2017
- Antenna’s Bunkers Binge - November 20, 2017
- The ‘Messiah’ is Coming - November 17, 2017
- A Second Beatification - November 17, 2017
- Interactive Sitcom - November 16, 2017