(Above: Sian Brooke, Sheridan Smith, Gemma Whelan in ‘The Moorside’)
Subscription streaming service BritBox today premieres The Moorside, a two-part crime drama based on a true story that “shook the nation” – the UK, that is – back in 2008. It focuses on the search for a missing nine-year-old girl:
The Moorside is one of the crown jewels from BritBox co-owners ITV and the BBC. The former produced it, the latter ran it on BBC One in February, and it became “the UK’s highest-rated drama premiere in 10 years.”
That puts it ahead of, for instance, Downton Abbey – whose US fans will be able to see the manipulative “Miss O’Brien” (Siobhan Finneran) as a detective in the two one-hour Moorside episodes. Gemma Whelan (Yara Greyjoy on Game of Thrones) plays the girl’s mother, but it’s Sheridan Smith who steals the show in the lead role of a friend who leads the search for the missing child.
Britbox, which launched two months ago to offer UK fare to US audiences, costs $6.99 a month and is available at www.BritBox.com and on iPhones, Android, Apple TV and Roku.
- A Primer on BLK Prime - February 19, 2018
- Israeli Self-Defense - February 19, 2018
- Philip Glass Live - February 16, 2018
- ‘Travel Time with Linda’ - February 16, 2018
- ‘Mozart’ Returns Friday - February 15, 2018
- ‘Stargate Origins’ Today - February 15, 2018
- ‘This Close’ Today - February 14, 2018
- Finding ‘One Flesh’ - February 14, 2018
- ‘Movies for Grownups’ - February 13, 2018
- ‘Her America’ Launches - February 13, 2018