(Above: Sian Brooke, Sheridan Smith, Gemma Whelan in ‘The Moorside’)
Subscription streaming service BritBox today premieres The Moorside, a two-part crime drama based on a true story that “shook the nation” – the UK, that is – back in 2008. It focuses on the search for a missing nine-year-old girl:
The Moorside is one of the crown jewels from BritBox co-owners ITV and the BBC. The former produced it, the latter ran it on BBC One in February, and it became “the UK’s highest-rated drama premiere in 10 years.”
That puts it ahead of, for instance, Downton Abbey – whose US fans will be able to see the manipulative “Miss O’Brien” (Siobhan Finneran) as a detective in the two one-hour Moorside episodes. Gemma Whelan (Yara Greyjoy on Game of Thrones) plays the girl’s mother, but it’s Sheridan Smith who steals the show in the lead role of a friend who leads the search for the missing child.
Britbox, which launched two months ago to offer UK fare to US audiences, costs $6.99 a month and is available at www.BritBox.com and on iPhones, Android, Apple TV and Roku.
- FloSports Goes Bowling - June 22, 2018
- Punjabi in ‘Next of Kin’ - June 21, 2018
- Dicks on Wheels - June 20, 2018
- Trapped in the 1970s! - June 19, 2018
- Honoring ‘Father Brown’ - June 18, 2018
- Look Who’s Carpooling! - June 15, 2018
- Back to ‘The Ranch’ - June 15, 2018
- Color Classics Launches - June 14, 2018
- ‘Graves’ Demons Return - June 13, 2018
- ‘Lust’ on Netflix Friday - June 13, 2018