Acorn TV, the subscription streaming service focusing on British fare, has secured exclusive US rights to premiere the final two seasons of the hit series Doc Martin. The show airs in the UK on ITV, which co-owns Acorn’s new competitor BritBox, but it’s distributed internationally by DRG.
Acorn said that season eight of Doc Martin, consisting of eight episodes, will premiere next fall/winter. The ninth and final season is planned for the UK in 2019, but Acorn didn’t indicate US dates. The first seven seasons (54 episodes) are available now on Acorn TV.
Doc Martin had run in the US only on public TV until Acorn secured the rights to premiere season six in 2014. That season and the following one were then broadcast by public TV stations starting a few months later. No word yet, though, on whether or not Acorn has cut a similar deal with American Public Television this time around. But APT was already touting its broadcast of the new season back in January.
Martin Clunes stars in Doc Martin as a “tactless, self-centered, and uptight” doctor in a quirky Cornwall seaside town.
‘Doc Martin’ trailer:
Doc Martin, by the way, may not end with the British series’ conclusions. It was reported two years ago that Marta Kauffman (Grace & Frankie, Friends) was helping to develop an American adaptation.
- FloSports Goes Bowling - June 22, 2018
- Punjabi in ‘Next of Kin’ - June 21, 2018
- Dicks on Wheels - June 20, 2018
- Trapped in the 1970s! - June 19, 2018
- Honoring ‘Father Brown’ - June 18, 2018
- Look Who’s Carpooling! - June 15, 2018
- Back to ‘The Ranch’ - June 15, 2018
- Color Classics Launches - June 14, 2018
- ‘Graves’ Demons Return - June 13, 2018
- ‘Lust’ on Netflix Friday - June 13, 2018